If you’ve been a follower for a while, you may know I quite enjoy cake. Actually, rephrase: I am a cake enthusiast. The problem with loving cake as much as I, is, when I do bake one, I’m tempted not to stop at just a slice.
So, it’s been my sole focus for the last 3 years to create the perfect mug cake recipe. Portion-controlled and done in under 3 minutes. ALSO, vegan-friendly (evidently eggs make mug cakes a little rubbery). Do NOT blame me if mug cakes becomes a nightly thing.
Without further ado: The Infamous Mug Cake recipe!
This makes ONE, but you can double/triple etc.
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar - my mum SWEARS by halving sugar in recipes, so if you like extra sweet, you can always add more - I find if the mixture is just a little too sweet to taste, it’ll be perfect when you cook it
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk - only add this 1 tbsp after you’ve doubled/tripled etc
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil - I use rice bran - less flavour than olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence - I always add it to any cake!
OPTIONAL: add choc chips, Nutella or a mini Mars bar in the middle for extra fun! OR remove the cocoa and add some blueberries instead.
- Pop dry ingredients in a bowl and mix them before adding the wet ingredients.
- Once it’s smooth, pour the mixture into your favourite mug and microwave for 50 seconds.
- Prefer a gooey consistency? 40 seconds should do it.
Note: mug thickness can make a massive difference. Thin mugs may cook the cake quicker - might take a few taste trials to get your perfect consistency. Shame... ⠀⠀⠀
Here’s me S-MUGLY enjoying a cake.⠀⠀
This may have been a winter staple in my house this year. ISO got me goooooood.
Yours in easy desserts,