No intro needed, really. This is just a really really good lemon slice recipe. In fact, I only just learnt that it's from my mother's (very 80s looking) Women's Weekly recipe book - and my mother has great taste, especially of the baked-goods kind.
So go forth, bake (actually no baking required for this one) - and enjoy the lemony goodness of this epic slice. It's particularly good when you have an oversupply of lemons in your garden and really really need to use them up.
I'm not sick of it. Yet.
PS. There's a hot tip below for you lactose-intolerants.
The Lemon Slice Recipe I thought Was My Mums (But Isn't)
Makes a slice tin worth, actual slices depends on the size you cut them. Takes maybe 20 mins, with an hour's wait for it to set.
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
125g (4oz) butter
250g packet of milk arrowroot biscuits
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 cup coconut
1 + 3/4 cups icing sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
15g (1/2oz) butter
2 tablespoons coconut for sprinkling
- Pop the condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan and stir over gentle heat until butter has melted and they've combined
- Crush biscuits very finely, then add lemon rind and coconut - then mix well
- Add the warm condensed milk/butter mixture to the biscuit crumbs and mix the ingredients together
- Press the mixture into a greased 28 x 18cm slice or lamington tin
- Set base in fridge for 1 hour
One hour later
- Combine sifted (I don't bother) icing, lemon juice and soft butter in a bowl - mix until smooth
- Ice the biscuit base with lemon icing and sprinkle it with coconut
- When icing is set, cut into squares. Rectangles. Eat the whole thing.
You. Are. Welcome.
I'm lactose intolerant, so I've substituted condensed milk for plant-based (we've spotted a Nestle one in Woolies) or coconut-based alternatives (I've made my own using this recipe - SUPER easy, less ouchy tummy).
Yours in lemon trees gone wild,